Hello there, I’m Kelly McGuire, a freelance writer, editor, and part-time translator working for Kestrel Text & Translation. I offer a range of Chinese-English and Dutch-English translation, subtitling, and editing services to clients around the world and occasionally write about topics that are close to my heart, such as language learning, cultural preservation and strategies for coping with the stresses of online fandom.
Originally from the tiny nation of Gibraltar, I have studied and worked in the United Kingdom, the People’s Republic of China, and Taiwan and have been living and working in the Netherlands since 2006.
A Brief Introduction
- Studied for a BA (Hons) in Modern Chinese Studies at the University of Leeds, which included a year studying Mandarin and Chinese culture at Tianjin Normal University (天津示范大学).
- Studied for an MA in Conflict Resolution at Lancaster University, with a focus on diplomacy, conflict management, and language policy in western Europe.
- Currently living in the Netherlands with my Dutch husband and working as a freelance writer, editor, and translator for my own company, Kestrel Text & Translation.
- Passionate about wildlife conservation and heritage preservation, an avid reader of biographies and travel writing, a self-styled “language nerd”, a casual Egyptologist, and a long-time fan of the Star Wars, Star Trek, and Tomb Raider franchises.
Hobbies & Interests
- Biodiversity and wildlife conservation;
- East Asian studies;
- East Asian, Mesoamerican, and Egyptian archaeology;
- Cultural heritage management and conservation;
- Language learning and translation studies;
- East Asian, South Asian, and South-East Asian cuisines;
- Blogging, online marketing, and social media;
- Video games, console and mobile;
- Star Wars and Star Trek;
- Reading non-fiction, biographies, and travel writing; and
- Archery (I’m the proud owner of a 35-lb Hungarian horse bow).